In 1939, the SS had the largest women’s concentration camp in the German Reich built in Ravensbrück near Fürstenberg. In 1941, a men’s camp was added, and in 1942, Uckermark “juvenile protective custody camp” was taken into operation.
After the liberation, the Soviet Army took over much of the former concentration camp and used it as a barracks. From 1948, former prisoners attempted to preserve at least the area around the crematorium and turn it into a place of remembrance.
The “Ravensbrück National Memorial” was opened in 1959 and was one of the GDR’s three national memorials. The bronze sculpture “Burdened Woman” (“Tragende”) was at the heart of the memorial’s design on the banks of lake Schwedt. Until 1994, the grounds of the former concentration camp were used for military purposes.
In 1993, the Memorial became part of the Brandenburg Memorials Foundation. In 2013, the new permanent exhibition “The Ravensbrück Women's Concentration Camp: History and commemoration“ was opened in the presence of former detainees.
- 1939-1945 Ravensbrück concentration camp
- 1945 - 1959 Early commemoration
- 1959 - 1992 National Memorial
- since 1993 Memorial Museum Ravensbrück
Call for Papers: Forum for Young Researchers at the 15th European Summer School Ravensbrück
27. May 2022
The Ravensbrück memorial invites students and young researchers to present their projects related to the topic of the 15th European Summer School Ravensbrück "Memorials as Places of Multidirectional Memory. Positions- Potentials- Perspectives"
The 2G rule will apply in all of the Brandenburg Memorials Foundation facilities of as of November 24
20. December 2021
According to the updated and stricter Brandenburg Corona Ordinance, which was issued today, the 2G rule will apply in all of the Brandenburg Memorials Foundation facilities of as of tomorrow (November 24).
In the SS-Auxiliary: The Female Guards of the Ravensbrück Women’s Concentration Camp
New permanent exhibiton in one of the former female guard's houses